Friday, October 25, 2013

Trust (Part Three)

Region: Key West
Lyn & Jack

Trust
(Part Three)

Eventually something has to happen I thought to myself, standing there at the mercy of these two heavily armed women.  No sooner had I thought that than had Cassidy walked away turning her back on me.  Was this my chance?  I looked at Lyn for any clue as to what was going on and all she did was motion with her hands for me to stay where I was while she mouthed the words “Please Wait’ and so I did.  I really had no reason to listen to her but I took the chance and hoped for the best.  I turned my attention back to Cassidy who had walked over to a work bench at the opposite end of the garage and was pawing around on it.  Soon she turned around and walked back toward us, or rather me and when she got close threw something at me.  I flinched not really knowing what it was and when the rag hit me in the chest I am sure I looked pretty confused.  “I am sorry about the nose. It’s been a while since I have actually dealt with a guy who I am supposed to be nice to.” She said with a sarcastic smile but I could see the distrust in her eye.  I knew that when she said it’s been a while what really she really meant was she had never had to deal with it.  I started to wipe some of the blood, my blood, off of my hands and face. The bright side was at least now I wasn't really bleeding anymore but boy would I be sore tomorrow.


“Do you want to talk or something Cass?” Lyn ask in a pleading voice.  Cassidy stared at her for a moment and then shook her head yes while saying “Sure but not here. Not in front of him.”  Cassidy then turned and squatted down by the hole I was standing in.  “Do me a favor Don Juan and hand me that.” She said pointing to the pipe I had in my hand earlier.  I looked in Lyn’s direction nervously searching for a sign it was going to be ok, any sign, when I saw nothing I turned my attention back to Cassidy.  “I’m not gonna do anything to you I promise; at least not for now. “ She continued as she held her hand out waiting.  I reached down and grabbed the pipe. It’s not like I really had a choice.  They both had rifles and lord knows what else and the rusty pipe I had desperately clung to earlier was not really going to save me.  As I handed it to her she explained what was going to happen next.  “Me and Ashlyn here are going to go have a talk.” You could tell that Cassidy never called Lyn by her full name because Lyn kind of startled a bit upon hearing her name.  “While we are chatting it up I can’t have you running around being seen by anyone else so I am going to close you back down in your little hole ok?” she asked as she locked eyes with me.  We both stared at one another for a moment in silence as I wrestled with any way to get out of this situation.  Finally I resigned myself to the fact that nothing was going to happen other than what she had just told me and quietly said “ok.” 

Cassidy stood up backing away and reached for the door.  As she began closing it and sending me yet again into darkness Lynn tried to reassure me everything would be ok.  “I will be back in a bit Jack.  Don’t worry everything will be OK you can trust me. “Her voice waned a bit when she added “You can trust Cassidy.”  It was then I realized why Cassidy wanted the pipe because I watched as she slid it across the handles locking me in my cage.  She shook the door a bit attempting to open it ensuring the pipe would hold it good and tight.  When she was satisfied she walked away, smacking her hands, cleaning off a bit of the rust and dust.  In what became a usual practice for me I stood staring out a random crack in the floor, looking on as the women rolled the car back over the place I was standing.  It was at that moment that something struck me as a bit odd.  Why did Cassidy have to lock me in here if they were planning to push the car back over the door?  It’s not like I was going to lift the door and with it the entire car and somehow manage to hold it over me while I escape.  It was then I really understood how much Cassidy did not trust me.


Again time passed slowly and the glint of the mid day sun faded dropping me further into the shadows.  Eventually the soft blue of dusk slipped into the dark of night.  It seemed like forever ago when I last saw the girls.  As I sat on the ground bracing myself for the possibility of a long night stuck in a hole. As I shifted trying to get comfortable I heard the crunch of footsteps approaching the garage. The door slid open and when I stood I was able to make out a single solitary dark figure.  Every ounce of me wanted to yell out into the night “Lyn is that you?” but I thought better of it.  Soon the car door opened and the vehicle lurched forward.  After a few feet it stopped hard as if someone had slammed on the breaks.  The car door slammed shut and whoever it was approached the door I stood under and began opening it.  I heard the pipe being slid off and then a loud clang echoed through my ears as it dropped to the floor.  In the next instant the door was tossed open and a light turned on, blinding me.  

Eventually my eyes adjusted to the sudden intense beam of light and I saw her there kneeling, waiting with a smile.  “It really must suck being in a hole all day huh?  I bet you really gotta piss.” Cassidy said offering her hand to me, the one not holding the flashlight.  I hesitated at first and she clicked tsk tsk a few times and then said “It’s OK I have no plans on hurting you Mr. Jack.”  I took her hand and she helped step from the hole.  She was uncharacteristically strong for a girl her size.  “Let’s get you inside and cleaned up. I bet you could use a shower.  But first help me push the car back in place.” She said as she shut the door and kicked the pipe off to the side.  I was a bit off kilter and confused wondering where Lyn was but decided my best bet was to play along.  After I helped here she told me “Let’s go” and we walked silently, together, up the path I had rushed down earlier that day, headed back to the house where I was hoping to find Lyn.

To Be Continued…

Region: Key West

Ashlyn Weaver
Jack Steiner
Cassidy Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment