Sunday, October 20, 2013

Trust (Part Two)

Region: Key West
Lyn & Jack

Trust
(Part Two)

Time crawled as I stood there in the darkness. The few minutes I waited unrealistically stretched into hours and time beyond that. I paced nervously, in my new, at the most four foot cell, wondering how I even allowed myself to end up in this situation. I stopped at each new crack of sunlight that materialized with the change of day and stared out into the silence beyond. Eventually I grew tired of this practice and resigned myself to the quiet of waiting. I sat on the floor and thought about the days of yesteryear. In my head, visions of a world where I could walk down a busy city street without concern for my safety or that of my friends and family swam by. I saw myself sitting at a table in outdoor quaint café, admiring the women in their sundresses as they walked by and flirted with their eyes. I saw college parties and football games. I saw everything I would never have again. I was lost in thought but recovered fairly quick and very alert when I heard approaching voices. I stood on my tip toes and found a crack with the best view and watched as the garage door swung open once more. There in the sun stood two silhouetted figures. My heart skipped nervously as I instantly could tell they were soldiers.


 I guess the weapons they had slung over their shoulders gave it away first, never mind the fact that they were wearing the standard military cargo pants and boots. I could not make out their faces because of the blinding sun that flooded in behind them. My heart fell further and I felt trapped. Where was Lyn I wondered to myself? Did she give me away? I nervously scanned my surroundings for a weapon, anything I could use to defend myself and settled on a rusty foot long pipe. I guess you could say settled was not really the case, it was all that I could find at the bottom of my hidey hole . I clutched it with my left hand; squeezing ever so tight, ready to do whatever it took and returned to staring out the crack at the two, I could only hope, unsuspecting soldiers. I surveyed them for some sign of hope or safety and still could not really make out their faces. On top of everything I could not hear what they were saying due to the fact that the wind had picked up a bit. It rushed through the garage making a slight rumble. Things were not really going my way at the moment and they looked like they maybe were about to get worse.

The conversation the two women were having ended quickly and they both turned to face the car. I swallowed hard as they walked in my direction. “Shit, shit, they know I am here.” I thought. And by their actions I was right. One moved to the rear of the vehicle and the other opened the driver’s side door, I could tell the gear had been shifted into drive by the way the car rocked forward just a tad. “Ok, Push now!” the woman on the driver’s side yelled and the car rolled forward almost effortlessly. I thought I recognized the voice but dismissed it. My heart was racing, pounding in my chest. I was a rat with no place to run. I ground my teeth, ready to spring into action. I was Jimmy Cagney and they were not going to get me without a damn good fight. They would not take me alive! I put my back against the wall and held my rusty pipe at the ready as one of the soldiers began grabbing at the door. A second or two passed and it was opened. I was revealed to those who stood before me. I was betrayed. I was lost.

The initial shock took a few seconds to fade but then reality set in as all three of us stood in what I can only describe as shock. There stood Lyn in dressed in full military uniform with another soldier. A woman I had never met. I stared up at Lyn and managed to mouth one word, why? In that moment her friend, companion, coworker, whatever you want to call her, backed up a foot and pulled her rifle out quicker than I could ever react to. “What the fuck Lyn” she shouted as she aimed her weapon at me. “Wait, wait, wait” Lyn shouted as she stepped between us. “Cassidy this is what I was trying to tell you.” The soldier, who I now knew as Cassidy looked at Lyn and then back to me several times in shock. I decided to use that moment to scramble up out of the hole and maybe make my escape. That was the dumbest decision I could make at that very moment. Cassidy quickly turned to me and had the butt of her rifle up so fast that I could do nothing but take the lightening fast blow that came sailing into my face. I crumbled like a wet rag doll right back into my dark hole. It was the second time today that I was left with my nose stinging and eyes watering.
 
I looked up through blurred eyes to see Lyn again standing between me and Cassidy. They were screaming at one another but I could not make out the words due to my head ringing and me being a bit more concerned with the blood seeping from my nose. At that moment for no particular reason I thought to myself just right my mom had been years ago; it seems I really was a bad judge of character. A few seconds passed and the ringing in my head stopped and it seemed so did the yelling. When the cobwebs had cleared I glanced up again to see that they were talking calmly now and the one who bloodied my already sore nose no longer had her rifle trained against me. I stood holding my nose and listened to what they were saying. “Cassidy you know we both have always said what they, what we are doing is wrong. We always say if we could change things we would.” Lyn seemed to pleading her case, possibly my case. Cassidy shook her head before she spoke. “It was just talk Lyn. I never really thought we’d actually act on it or ever in a position like this.” Looking over at me she laughed and finished by saying “I never thought we’d actually have to deal with a guy.” They both turned and faced me neither of them saying a word for a few moments, even the wind had died down making it oddly and overwhelmingly quiet. “What now Cassidy?” asked Lyn finally breaking the silence. I stood staring and wondering the very same thing as both women stared back at me not saying a word.

 To Be Continued…

Region: Key West

Ashlyn Weaver
Jack Steiner
Cassidy Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment